Name: Shannon Sharp
I serve as the Social Media & Events Manager for Rock/Creek Outfitters.
I started running in 2001, following double-knee ACL reconstruction and rehabilitation. My surgeon suggested that I avoid running for the rest of my life, so I made sure to do the exact opposite.
Why do you run?
I run to stay physically fit, and mentally sharp. I prefer to run trails, but I am happy to train on the road. My latest passion is ultra trail running. I enjoy the suffering that often comes with ultras. I know that, no matter what happens, I will troubleshoot and overcome.
Favorite place to run:
Percy Warner Park in Nashville, Tennessee
Lookout Mountain in Chattanooga, Tennessee
Black Mountains in Burnsville, North Carolina
My favorite achievement was completing my first “50K,” which was also finishing my first Barkley Fall Classic. I finished 4th Place Female that day. A hellishly amazing day.
Toughest moment in a race:
Miles 15 – 26 of Stump Jump 2016 were probably the toughest miles I have ever put into a race. I was miserable, and my mind told me to turn around at Indian Rock House. However, I shut off the negative, embraced the struggle and finished.
Goals for 2017:
Finish my first 100K+ at the 2017 Georgia Death Race
Complete my third consecutive Barkley Fall Classic
Earn a buckle at the 2017 Pinhoti 100
Race Schedule for 2017:
- January 7, 2017: Cloudland Canyon 50 Miler
- January 28, 2017: Black Toe Trail Run – 12 Hour Relay
- February 19, 2017: Dry Creek Trail Races – Marathon
- March 25, 2017: McKay Hollow Madness 25K
- April 1, 2017: Georgia Death Race
- April 28 – 30: Grand Vaduta Stage Race
- May 20, 2017: Quest for the Crest 50K
- June 17, 2017: Jackal Trail Marathon
- June 18, 2017: Backass Jackal Trail Marathon:
- June 19, 2017: Asphalt Jackal Road Marathon
- June 20, 2017: Dragonfly Jackal Road Marathon
- June 21, 2017: Native Jackal Trail Marathon
- June 24-25, 2017: Western States 100 (Pacer)
- August 19, 2017: Backyard Classic – 8 Hour
- September 16, 2017: The Barkley Fall Classic
- November 4, 2017: Pinhoti 100
Tips for new runners: