Rock/Creek, in partnership with Chaco Sandals, is pleased to announce a $3,000 donation to Take Root, an urban forestry program which plants trees in Chattanooga. Throughout this spring, a portion of all Chaco purchases made at Rock/Creek will support this donation.
The $3,000 will fund the planting of 18 trees in two sections of median on Dallas Road in Chattanooga. The species selected for planting is an American Elm cultivar called “Princeton,” bred for its resistance to Dutch Elm Disease. By selecting the American Elm, we’re re-introducing a native tree to the urban landscape, one which was historically common before populations were decimated in the 1960s and 1970s by this fungal disease.
Take Root launched in March 2008 with a single goal: to double the percentage of tree-canopy cover in the urban core of Chattanooga. Over the course of three years, Take Root has committed to plant more than 1,500 trees. The benefits of urban tree planting are countless:
- Children living in areas with a dense urban forest have a lower prevalence of asthma.
- Trees mitigate the impact of “urban heat islands,” providing shade and cooling the temperature from 5 to 7 degrees in the surrounding area.
- Trees help keep area rivers clean by providing natural stormwater management; Chattanooga street trees absorb over 236 million gallons of stormwater runoff annually.
- Mature trees absorb carbon dioxide, reducing the carbon footprint of Chattanooga as a whole.
- Green spaces, populated by trees, have been linked to a reduction in both crime and litter. Cleaning up the streets couldn’t be easier!
- In addition, tree canopy can increase residential property values by 4 to 6 percent.
Help us make Chattanooga greener! Take Root is funded solely by donations, not tax dollars. Visit www.takerootchattanooga.com to learn more about Take Root or to make a donation. In addition, we have a very limited quantity of Take Root shopping bags available for $5 each at our Manufacturer’s Road and Hamilton Place locations, with all proceeds going directly to Take Root.