Our Greenway 5 Mile Trail Race took place this Saturday, the fourth annual running of this family-friendly event. The course consisted of mixed surfaces including grass, gravel, pavement and trail, and the runners were definitely pleased with the surprisingly-comfortable 78 degree temperature at the beginning of the race!
This year’s race had 145 finishers, up from 129 in 2010. The leaderboard was dominated by younger entrants, as 8 of the top 10 finishers were age 23 or younger Not to be outdone, our oldest finisher was Jack Pickett, age 64, coming in 93rd.
Several Rock/Creek Race Team members took part, including Jacob Bradley (4th overall), Jan Gautier (Female Masters winner and 29th overall), Cathi Cannon (48th overall) and Jim Farmer, who finished 15th overall on his 43rd (!) birthday.
It was wonderful to see couples and families running together, some of whom were running in their first race. Patrick Douglas and his son, Walt Douglas, finished in 36th and 37th place. Jacyln Meek ran her first trail race with her father, John Meek; Susan and Mike Ellis ran the whole race together. Joshua, Ashlee, Jonathan and Bill Goodpaster all took part in the run, as did Kimberly, Clara, James, Evelyn and Courtney Turner.
Here are the podium finishers for the 2011 Rock/Creek Greenway 5 Mile trail race:
Top overall finishers:
Top Female finishers:
- “This was my first race. Loved it! Can’t wait to do it again! Also, thanks Rock/Creek… I won some new shoes!!” — Taka Elkins
- “SO much fun. First trail race & already looking forward to next year’s! Also, a big ups to whoever hooked up the awesome shirts.” — Megan Shannon
- “Had a blast running the Greenway, the hills were tough but I made it through. Thanks for a great time!” — Brian Santos
- “Great race! Thank you, I had a blast! That was my first trail run and I loved it!” — Ted Hackett
- “Great time today – my first trail race, and enjoyed it thoroughly! Great promoter and great volunteers. Thanks!” — James Brookshire
- “Had a great time, this was my first ever race. Looking forward to the StumpJump next!” — Christopher Fason
- “It was a great race! Thank you for putting it on & everyone who helped out!” — Toniko Yakemovic
Special thanks are due to our sponsors: Patagonia, Marmot, Salomon, Toyota, SmartWool, Greenlife Grocery and Outdoor Chattanooga! I’d also like to extend a warm “thank you” to all of our race volunteers, many of whom drove long distances and all of whom had to be up very early in the morning. You guys make these races happen!
There are three races remaining in the 2011 Rock/Creek Trail Series… see you at the Rock/Creek StumpJump 50k!